Monday 22 December 2008

Watts = Volts x Amps

I went round to the house today to take some more pictures; all the plastering in the upstairs bedrooms is finished as you can see from these pictures. The problem is, in this weather, it is taking a long time to dry out especially as there is no heating in the house at the moment.




In effort to speed the natural process up a bit the builder invested in a couple of cheap convection heaters. A first class idea except they were being run off an extension cable rated to a maximum of 10 amps.


The heaters (according to the box) are rated at 2Kw each. If I remember from my school days Watts = Volts x Amps so 4000 watts of heat from a 240 volts supply requires 16.6amps. That will probably account for why the heaters kept switching off!

Just as well we have RCD circuits everywhere.

5 comments:

Tim Leunig said...

We have a dehumidifier in our garage if you want to borrow it.

Decorem said...

Thanks Tim. I don't think much work will be done over the next few days so it will have time to dry on it's own.

Tim Leunig said...

I bet if you plugged it in you would find the tank full next time you went :-)

Decorem said...

True. Let me have a look round there after Christmas and see how dry it is. I may take you up on your offer. I don't want the worry of leaving it on unsupervised for a couple of days.

PS Hope you like the picture next to my comments. You may recognise it!

Decorem said...

The house is drying out nicely now. Two extension leads and two fires.

It is warmer round there than it is at home now.