Friday 14 November 2008

The Amazonian Rainforest

I don't know much about the rain forest (it is one word or two?) and I have never been there but I think that because the canopy is so thick it is like having two systems in one. The bottom of the forest is dark and damp because sunlight never gets there whilst the area above the canopy is light and bright and is host to a totally different set of species.

The garden of the house is very like this.

I have never seen a garden quite so overgrown with very large trees and shrubs and this morning I did a job that all boys are born to do. Me, an overgrown garden and a chainsaw!

YeeeHaaa!!!!.

I still have all my limbs so I can tell the tale.

I think I said in an earlier blog entry that we bought the house without ever actually venturing down the garden. Subsequently I hacked, literally, my way to the end picking my way through brambles and round thorn trees, just to see what was there. Today's mission was to try and clear a wider path so that others could make the same journey.

It is very clear that this used to be a much loved garden. The things that had been planted had been planted with thought and care but they had, over several years of neglect, literally taken over the garden. The first challenge was just as you walk out through the back door. An enormous thorn bush blocking your path. This proved the most difficult thing to move out the way simply because it was so vicious. Beyond that were several more similar bushes and some thorn trees all of which have now received the attention of the chain saw. I am only trying to completely clear the trees etc on the left hand side of the garden. The growth on the right provide quite a bit of screening so it needs to be thinned, cut back and pruned but I want some of it to survive. The back garden is overlooked by some flats and it need to ensure that we have sufficient cover to block as much of this out as I can.

There will end up being an element of garden design in this project.

No comments: