Thursday 20 November 2008

Bathroom Suites

I have been told that it is time to start thinking about the bathroom suites we want (and buy them I guess). The type of toilet is particularly important as it makes a difference to the way that the soil pipes are attached.

I have looked at various bathroom suites on-line and have been quite surprised and how much they cost (a lot) and how much they get discounted to (also a lot).

So, here are links to the proposed suites.

Upstairs Bathroom

Downstairs Cloakroom

Thermostatic Shower Mixer tap

This all comes to about £550.00 with the taps costing £255.00. I have sent details of these over to our plumber for his thoughts but I am going to make life size templates of the units and take them round over the weekend to see how it all fits and to find out if you can get past the sink to the toilet and so on. We have decided (on advice) to move the sink and the toilet around upstairs which should make this easier. Apparently the stud walls are up so I will take some pictures at the same time.


9 comments:

Tim Leunig said...

Looks like very good value to me. We had Hans Grohe shower/taps in our last house that were the same design - it works very well: you can leave the temperature set, and just turn it on and off.

Anonymous said...

Might it be better with a proper shower over the bath built into the wall?

However flash the unit might look, it may appear to renters or buyers as though it's just a bath mixer with a hand-held shower head.

Decorem said...

I had assumed (but need to check) that it had a bracket so it could be a proper shower as well.

I am wondering now about building it into the wall properly as you suggest.

More research required.

Anonymous said...

I expect that it does have a bracket but, to me, it's not quite the same.

The operation would be the same apart from having to bend down to adjust the temperature.

Tim Leunig said...

A proper shower is nicer, but is dearer to buy and more work to install, particularly if the wall is brick. They are nicer, but I think we are used to good quality hotel showers of the sort you plan to install. Heh - it depends if the buyer is like me our SPO!

Decorem said...

OK - You've got me with SPO.I have no idea what that stands for. I have looked it up here http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SPO and assuming you are not referring to the well known Slaithwaite Philharmonic Orchestra the closest I can get is Specific Personal Objective?

Tim Leunig said...

"Shower Position Observer"...

Decorem said...

Doh!

Anonymous said...

As per my previous post I don't think people look particularly closely at many aspects of a house when buying (and even less when renting.) However I've never had much luck in using a shower mixer off the taps as one finds in hotels and know that Mrs MOTB would find it no use for hair washing.

If an estate agent was showing a prospective purchaser round the house it is possible that the purchaser would not realise the currently proposed taps were thermostatic.

Obviously depends how much extra a fitted shower would be.