Wednesday 22 October 2008

Insurance

It appears we are going to exchange imminently (today is a possibility) so getting some insurance seems like a good idea. This turns out to not be quite as simple as I thought and is something we should have considered earlier.

The first port of call was Direct Line. They were very good but their policies don’t cover you for very much if a house is going to be empty for more than 60 days. Effectively cover for vandalism and similar events ceases but you are still covered for fire which is probably the main risk.

After this I tried one of the comparison sites and was as disappointed with it as I was the last time I used one for motor insurance. I types in all of my details as well as all the details of the house (and a whole lot more besides) whereon it went off and obtained quotes (or tried to) from all of these different insurance companies all of which declined to quote! I wish I had kept the email with the reasons so I could reproduce it here but I deleted it in frustration. The excuses basically fell into three categories.
  1. xxx company cannot be reached at this time.
  2. yyy company has declined to quote as the property will not be inhabited
  3. zzz company has declined to quote because of the construction of the roof (it is concrete)
What a waste of time!

We will probably go with the Direct Line quote and risk the limitations on the policy after 60 days but Mrs Decorem (or Mrs APD as she recently described herself) contacted three local insurance brokers one of whom will be obtaining a quote for some special renovation insurance. This is shorter term cover (you can name the period) and it will be interesting to see how this compare to Direct Line.

I don't think I have heard insurance mentioned on property programs on TV. Clearly it is not glamorous enough for them to bother about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I was speaking insurance with my dad this weekend and he was waxing on lyrical about the NFU - maybe worth calling them.

Decorem said...

Hope you don't mind but I modified your comment as it had a telephone number it. I have got a note of it though.

Thanks