Saturday 11 October 2008

Planning Update

I have just found out I don’t need planning permission to put an obscured glass window in the side of the house provided that any opening is more than 1.7m from the ground. I do need to get building control approval for the work but this is more to check that it is done properly (putting in a lintel etc) . There is some talk that if the window is to be more than 1m sq that may require additional permission. To avoid an issue I will ensure it isn’t!

I hvae been told about a new goverment website for planning rules. Here is the link. The interactive house is pretty good.

All I need to do now is see if I can speak to the neighbours and see how they feel about a new window and a new soil pipe. There isn’t much they can do about it but I always think it is nice to ask people’s permission when you can.

Off to do some more measuring later on today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you exchanged yet?

Decorem said...

No not yet. The estate agent thinks it should be 7 days but I have heard it all before. All agents are pathological optimists; it goes with the job.

I think it will be the end of October (if we are lucky!)

Anonymous said...

Unless the house is in a designated conservation area, I do not believe that any planning consent is required for new windows regardless of them being obscured or not. Your link to the Planning Portal confirms.