Thursday 9 October 2008

A New Bathroom

I have now used Visio (what a pain that piece of software is) to map out the upstairs of the house with a before and after plan. It looks like my attempts to get a full bathroom might work. I say might because I don't have good enough measurements of the house so I think I will try and get back round there this weekend to measure more accurately.

If this works it will give me much more scope downstairs and I will measure that at the same time to plan the new kitchen.


Here is the upstairs layout from my basic drawings from my last visit. The scale is 1:50 and the beds which I have put on the plans for reference purposes are 5ft beds.

I didn't specifically measure the doors so I have guessed at 800mm which is about average (I think). The windows are marked in the right place by the size is a guess as I didn't measure them.

The little cut out in the top room is where the hot water tank is at the moment but as we are going to put in a combi-boiler there will be no need for it any more.

Basically as it stands you go up the stairs and then turn left or right through a door to the bedrooms.



Here is the upstairs with my attempt to get a full bathroom in. I think this works. We have the added benefit of being able to put small vanity unit in the second bedroom.

The bath is 17000x700 which I believe is standard and there will be room to put a shower above it.

I need to go back and measure the house more accurately but I think that this looks pretty good. The plan doesn't show it but the right hand wall has small recesses for the old chimney breasts and these can be covered by wardrobes down this wall.

This works particularly well in the room where the bathroom has been placed as the door into the bedroom has been moved to the middle of the wall.

No news on exhange yet so I'll keep planning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

plans look good - i think bathroom upstairs is a major win - people dont really like going downstairs for shower - i did in an old flat and it was very very cold and miserable.....like plans.....

Anonymous said...

It appears to me that it is a little too tight for space between the basin and the WC - you may wish to forego the bedroom 1 basin (which is a fairly rare proposal these days any way) so that you can move the basin further from the WC. You would however still need to check that there was enough headroom over the stairs for there to be a flat floor to stand on there (although you could have a raised section) and that there was enough space to get past the WC.

You could also swap WC for basin as long as you were then happy with any soil pipe routing issues.

Tim Leunig said...

When I installed an ensuite in our previous house I got it into 1700x1500, but it was tight. Think about using armitage shanks space saver wide but shallow basins, and think about having a shower room. The AS SS corner loos are also useful and fit well with quadrant 800mm bathrooms.

A 1700 x 1700 shower room, with one corner cut off on the diagonal, was spacious.