Saturday 31 January 2009

Avoiding Another Skip

We are trying hard to avoid the need to purchase yet another skip so have resorted to making ourselves popular with the neighbours by burning some of the garden waste. I am not particularly comfortable about this as I would prefer to see it recycled but we have still not addressed large scale recycling in this country.


If I put all the waste in a skip I still have to pay to have the skip collected and even then I am not sure it doesn't end up in landfill anyway. I could put it all into a van and take it down the dump (sorry - I meant the Local Authority Re-Cycling Centre) but I haven't got a van and making multiple visits using a car and queuing every time is not my idea of fun.

So - we are burning it. If the council wanted to introduce a free (or inexpensive) large scale re-cycling collection I would have used it. The problem is the council have a target to reduce landfill so they don't care that much about bonfires.

No comments: