Thursday 15 January 2009

Buying on eBay

The kitchen was delivered on Tuesday as scheduled but we did not buy (deliberately) an oven or hob. We need to source one quite quickly as the kitchen will start to be installed next week.

Whilst not completely necessary I am keen to install a multi function oven to ensure that a grill is provided in the kitchen. It is only a small point but one that may make a difference. The only problem is that multi function ovens are more expensive.

After having a good look around on the internet I thought I would look at eBay. I am (at the time of writing) the highest bidder on this oven and hob. I haven't bought anything on eBay in over a year but this seller is on my way to and from work so I can easily pick the units up if I am the highest bidder and examine them before handing over the loot.

I didn't expect eBay to be a supplier for this project but there you go.

6 comments:

Decorem said...

I still appear to be the highest bidder with 2 days and 11 hours to go.

Tim Leunig said...

If you are outbid at the last moment, the 2nd best oven according to Which is Electrolux Intuition EOB53000K, which is only £268 from Redhill Appliances (http://www.redhillappliances.co.uk/Products.aspx?PRODUCTID=7046). It may well come in other colours.

It was rated 5* for
Heat distribution
Accuracy of controls
Preheating speed
Grill

Overall 84%

It looks posh as well.

(The best is a £780 Miele, at 85%)

Decorem said...

Thanks for the info Tim. Shame that oven isn't available in stainless steel as well.

Still got my fingers crossed on ebay though. 10 hours to go.

Tim Leunig said...

It is: google electrolux blah 53000 stainless steel

http://www.sainsburyskitchenappliances.co.uk/Product_Information.aspx?BackLink=Product_Listings&ProductID=7561&ProductCode=EOB53000X_SS

Good luck on ebay: my experience is that most bids come in in the last 10 mins

Decorem said...

You are not wrong. The item went for £360.00 (£110.00 more than my maximum bid).

I have no idea why somebody would pay that much.

I'll look again at your suggestion Tim.

Thanks

Tim Leunig said...

Our neighbour sold a 10 year old Peugeot 106 (Parkers price £660) for £2006 on ebay. Two determined buyers at the end. As she said, the buyer overpaid. People do.

It is good for esoteric things that no-one wants (old railway timetables) and things that come up often enough that there is no point getting carried away because there will be another one for sale tomorrow (climbing frames).

Buy the Electrolux in stainless steel. Then you can advertise that it has a Which recommended cooker. And if you have to rent out, you are less likely to have problems.