Thursday 29 January 2009

Slow Progress

I am concerned that progress on this project appears to be slowing.

I am sensible enough to know that at the beginning of these jobs there is a huge flurry of activity, much effort is expended and the results are obvious. As you near the end the work gets fiddlier and the impression is given that things take a little longer. Never the less we seem to have less forward momentum now. I was told that the kitchen would be fitted this week and would be completed by Friday. I was told earlier this week by somebody else that this is looking unlikely and it now appears that the kitchen won't be started until tomorrow (Friday) and it will be installed by somebody else. The somebody else is someone who I know well (I wonder how many other parents of my eldest daughter's friends I can get involved) and he will do a first class job but these additional delays are very frustrating.

The fitting of the carpets on 10th February is the last job to be done so we have (from today) seven working days and two weekends to get everything finished. Will we do it? If you had asked me on Monday I would have been confident but now I am less sure. I am a born optimist and the glass is always half full so I remain positive but I have a double shot of realism in my half full glass.

I had naively hoped to have completed the sale of the property by the end of this tax year so I could take full advantage of Mrs APD and my CGT allowance for the year. I think that would have been a challenge two years ago let alone in the current climate.

No comments: