Tuesday 6 January 2009

Change of Specification

After much thought we have decided to change the specification and not re-render or re-point the flank walls.

This is not because the jobs don't need doing but because the weather is making it pretty impossible to do any meaningful outside work that won't need to be redone is few months time. I would hate to dress a house up for sale and then the new owners have to spend money on repairing it all again.

I spoke to the estate agent who was of the opinion that provided we are up front with potential purchasers it shouldn't cause a problem i.e. don't wait until their survey points it out. Overall it is likely to be cost neutral to us as we won't be paying the builder for the work but may have to reduce the sale price accordingly. Having said that we are not going to be greedy with the resale price so it is possible that we end up making slightly more without having wasted money on work that will need to be redone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and the house

Would you care to expand on your last paragraph - it's a little hard to follow!

Decorem said...

Reading this back again I think you are right! I know what I meant to say but I didn't say it.

I was trying to make the point that I am prepared to sell the house at a discount to its value in order to get a quick sale. Two agents have told me that they believe the house could be sold for over my target price of £250k. They may be right but I am happy to sell for £250k. As a result, if for the sake of argument, the house is valued (and worth) £265k if we did the additional work and £260k if we don't and I am stil happy to accept an offer of £250k the overall return would be improved by not doing the work as the actual price achieved remains the same but the cost of achieving it have been reduced.

The stamp duty threshold of £250k may change the argument a bit as one could say that anything valued at a little bit over £250k will tend to drop back to the stamp duty threshold anyway. Having said that of course it means that anything valued at £250k to say £275k is only worth £250k irrespective of how much you spend on doing it up.

I am not sure if that makes it any clearer or not really.